Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas produced when heating systems are
not working correctly. You can't smell, taste or see carbon monoxide.
That makes it very dangerous. Carbon monoxide can build up inside a house
because of incomplete combustion and cause severe sickness and even death.
Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Sudden flu-like illness
- Dizziness, headaches, sleepiness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fluttering or throbbing heart beat
- Cherry-red lips, unusually pale complexion
If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Get the victim out of the house and into fresh air immediately.
- Call 911 or emergency medical help at once.
- Get everyone else out of the house.
- Open the windows.
To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Be alert for the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms and replace every five years.
- Never operate internal combustion engines indoors.
- Never use a charcoal grill indoors.
- Have all fuel-burning appliances, flues, vents and chimneys checked regularly.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarms
Make sure your home is equipped with working CO alarms.
- Illinois law requires every home and apartment to have a CO alarm
within 15 feet of sleeping areas.
- For added safety, consider installing a CO alarm in each bedroom.
- In two-story homes, install at least one CO alarm on each level.
- If your home has a basement, install a CO alarm at the top of the
- Change the batteries in CO alarms at the beginning of winter and
then every six months.
- Replace CO alarms older than five years.